Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Judge a Book by its Cover

Yes, that’s right. Ignore the old adage that you can’t do so.

Book covers have been consuming our time recently as we move along in our self-publishing process for our up-coming book, They Did What? Unbelievable Tales from the Workplace. There is so much to consider: artwork, font type, color. Will the thumbnail image stand out online? At one of the first Writer’s Digest conferences we attended, we heard a presentation by a designer who said you wanted to keep one word in mind, crap, and keep it in mind for a good reason. 


CRAP is an acronym for C=Contrast; R=Repetition; A=Alignment; and P=Proximity. These are all important elements of book cover design, in addition to the others we mentioned. It was at that point—over seven years ago—that we vowed to each other that when (not if) we finished and self-published what we thought would be our next book, we would definitely turn to the professionals and abandon any DIY thoughts.


Does the advice of don’t judge a book by its cover apply to people in the context of making first impressions? Perhaps, but let me share a recent experience.  


Since the spring of 2020, living and working from home has been a reality for all of us. Is working in pajamas, sweats, t-shirts and, shorts effective? You’ll have to judge that for yourself. Recently, I was getting ready for a day where I had two calls scheduled. The first an informal Zoom meetup with friends, and the second, an interview for a podcast on the Go To Meeting platform. I put on a nice, but plain, turquoise top and realized that some jewelry, which I’ve hardly been wearing lately, would dress it up. This was accompanied by, yes, a pair of shorts.


When I got on the Go To Meeting platform, I realized there were both audio and video components.  Although only the audio would be recorded, while I was talking to the host during the interview, I could see myself on camera. It gave the experience a more personal touch. The addition of the jewelry, I realized, gave me a more professional look and put me in the right mindset for the interview. I was judging myself by my own appearance, positive and professional. 


In these times, sometimes the little things, like a different shirt or the addition of accessories (other than a mask) can make the world of difference in how you feel about yourself. It’s an individual experience. For me, on that particular Friday, I can say that I didn’t look nor feel like, well, CRAP.


P. S. In the coming weeks, we should have a book cover for They Did What? Unbelievable Tales from the Workplace to share. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree it is the little things that make a difference these days. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete